Here’s how to make your new career a reality
Making a career change can be challenging as there are various factors to think about, especially if you have family and financial commitments to consider.
It takes good planning to ensure you’re making the right choice for your future. Knowing when and how to change career helps to make the right decision and transition into a career that better suits your goals and interests.
Women in particular often feel the need to change careers for a variety of reasons such as lack of fulfillment, job security or better work-life balance.
Here are 7 ways to motivate and manifest change and overcome obstacles when changing careers.
Why change careers?
The most obvious time to make a career change is when you’re unhappy or unfulfilled in your current job. If you’re constantly feeling unmotivated or uninspired by your work, it might be time to look at new career avenues. Other signs that it’s time to switch careers could be feeling stagnated or stuck, a lack of career advancement, wanting to increase your salary or to expand your horizons to pursue a passion that doesn’t fit with your current job.
Changing careers can be a great way to open up new opportunities and experiences that can help you grow and develop as a person. Some women feel that their current job doesn’t align with their passions, values or goals, which may have evolved over time – what once appealed, no longer does.
Job security is another driving factor. In today’s economy, a lot of industries are experiencing disruption and uncertainty, and many women feel that their current job is not stable enough.
Striving for a better work-life balance can often drive a career change for many women when they start a family. Having a flexible job enables women to balance the demands of their job and family responsibilities while still maintaining their career goals. It also allows them to work at their own pace which can help reduce stress and improve overall wellbeing.
How to make a career change.
Once you’ve decided to make a career change, the next step is to figure out how to go about it. Here are some tips to help you make a successful transition:
- Research your options. Before making any major decisions, it’s important to do your research. Take some time to explore different career options and figure out what would be the best fit for you. Consider both your interests and skills when researching potential jobs.
- Create a plan. Once you’ve identified a career that you’d like to pursue, it’s time to start planning. Think about what steps you need to take to make the switch and come up with a realistic timeline so your dream career can become a reality. Take some time to reflect on what you want to achieve, both professionally and personally, and create a plan to get there. This may involve gaining new skills, networking, or studying a new qualification.
- Motivate yourself. Making a career change requires motivation, determination and perseverance. The first step is to identify your passion, skills and strengths. Once you have a clear understanding of these, you can research new career paths and industries that align with your goals. Take some time to reflect on what it is that you want to get out of this career change. What are the key motivators that make this change attractive to you? Is it a higher salary, more flexible hours or a greater sense of job satisfaction? Getting clear on the reasons behind your decision to change careers can help to give you the motivation you need to make it happen.
- Manifestation and Visualization. Manifestation and visualization are powerful tools that can help give you the motivation and confidence to achieve your career goals. By visualizing yourself in your dream job, you can manifest the reality you want to create. Take some time each day to visualize yourself succeeding in your new career. See yourself happy, fulfilled and confident in your abilities. This positive energy can help you attract opportunities that align with your goals and aspirations.
- Setting goals and overcoming obstacles. Setting clear and achievable goals is critical to making a successful career change. Break down your goals into small, manageable steps and create a timeline for achieving each goal. This will help you stay focused and motivated throughout the process. It’s also important to be realistic about the challenges you may face and to have a plan for overcoming obstacles. This may involve building a support network, seeking out a mentor or coach, or learning new skills to ensure you are confident in your new job.
- Reversing bad habits. Changing careers can be challenging, especially if you have habits that may not serve you well in your new role. Take some time to identify any negative habits or limiting beliefs that may be holding you back. These could include procrastination, self-doubt or a fear of failure. By recognising these habits and actively working to overcome them, you can build new, positive habits that will help you succeed in your new career.
- Networking and making new connections are an important part of any job search; however, it is particularly important when you’re looking to change career. You never know who you may meet and the opportunities that could arise. Reach out to people in the industry and seek advice on how to make the transition.
Health Coaching – the career that offers it all
Many women who choose to change careers in midlife find that becoming a Health Coach is an excellent way to take control of their health and build a flexible career helping others, allowing them to fit work around their family and personal commitments. In fact, at CNM, many of our Health Coach students are women who have decided to pursue this path after changing careers.
If you’re someone who is passionate about health and wellness, and want to pursue a career that allows you to set your own schedule and make a difference in the lives of others, then becoming a Health Coach may be the right choice for you. With dedication and hard work, you can make a successful transition into this rewarding field and enjoy the many benefits that come with it.
Change for the future
Changing careers can be daunting, but with the right preparation and planning, you can make the transition successfully. Take time to research your options and create a methodical plan. With patience and hard work, you’ll be able to move into a career that better suits your goals and interests. By following these tips and staying focused on your goals, you can create a fulfilling and successful career that aligns with your passions and values. Remember, the most important step is to take action and start working towards your dream career today.
See how these Health Coach graduates did it: